mercredi 27 septembre 2017

Lessons From Last Night

Last night, as I sat outside smoking a cigar, the wife and I kept hearing voices on the property near the gas well. I couldn't tell if it was one or two men, but fearing that my father-in-laws renters had friends or something that were up to no good down by the wells, I went inside and threw on my jeans, grabbed up a knife, .30-30, and 1911. I already had my edc light (a Thorfire PF02S). Slipped into my old ratty shoes, and away I went, looking for whoever was out there. There was nobody out by the wells, so I think we were hearing the renters have a fight, but I did learn a few things.

1. Make sure the batteries in my lights are good. This wasn't really a problem until after I'd checked where I wanted to thankfully, but it easily could have.

2.Grab the right light. As much as I like my little edc light, it's not what I would prefer for looking into the distance. I should have picked up one of my slide focus lights instead, but didn't.

3.Ratty tennis shoes aren't good for overgrown pastures. If the pasture was brush hogged, then this likely would have been less of an issue, but the tractor is in the shop for now. However, a pair of boots would have been better, and will be available as soon as the ones I ordered come in.

4.We need trails through the pasture. As stated previously, our tractor is unavailable for the time being; that said, a few trails would be good. One going to the back of the well area, one kind of in the center, and one on the east or "front". Had somebody been there last night, I would have preferred coming in from the back, so that if they ran away, I would be in no danger from their cars.

5.I need a faster system than just throwing everything on my belt at a moments notice. This is more of a preference, but I'd like to have something set up for faster responses. Either a battle belt, or a cheap tactical vest with a holster set up.

6.The desire for a weapons mounted light is stronger. Currently my only rifle is a .30-30, and while I'm hoping in the next year to get an AR, that doesn't really help right now. I would like to have had a weapons mounted light so that I'm not trying to aim a rifle and hold a flashlight at the same time.

For those who have property, or those who are in law enforcement or those who have served, did I miss anything? Oh, I was alone because my wife is on crutches, and the father in law was "watching" my son (who was asleep).

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Lessons From Last Night

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire