mercredi 13 mars 2019

Revolver .22 chamber inserts

I have not fooled with the .22 revolver inserts, but am aware of them. I've gone more towards maximizing the utility of my .38s by fitting extra cylinders, or in some cases making chamber mods so that my EDC carry guns can exploit ammo other than that originally chambered for and usually carried.

Example, my S&W 940 stainless Centennial in 9mm Luger had its chambers reamed so that I can use 9mm ammo in star-clips, or .38 S&W without clips.

I fitted an extra cylinder to my S&W Model 32-1 .38 S&W from an S&W Model 36 which I faced off and fitted with its own crane assy. so that I can swap cylinders. I can use any .38 Special ammo which is short enough to fit in the abbreviated cylinder which is 1.40" long vs. 1.60" for a Model 36. It accepts .38 wadcutters and non+P JHP rounds. I also made a file-trim die to cut off the noses of old school 158-grain LRN service rounds to convert them to 146-grain flatnose rounds which fit in the short cylinder and shoot to the fixed sights of the .38 S&W Terrier using the .38 Special cylinder.

Several of my .38 Special revolvers have chambers which are large enough from the factory to accept and fire .38 S&W ammo which I keep for my S&W Terrier Model 32-1.

These include my Ruger Speed Six .357, a Service Six .38 Special, an S&W Model 10-5, and Model 37 Airweight Chief's Special as well as an S&W Model 12 Airweight .38 Special.

If you happen to have a couple revolvers chambered in .38 S&W, it is useful to know which other .38 Specials you have which could use that ammo in a pinch. Makes planning the New York Reload easier.

In my GHB and survival ruck I no longer keep a .22 pistol, but I did for years. Post 9/11 I decided that defense potential and longer range to 50 yards were important, if I was unable to pack a rifle. So instead in each vehicle keep a 6" barrel .38 Special revolver which is +P capable and zeroed to the Winchester X38SPD FBI 158-grain lead HP +P load.

Because my EDC is usually some sort of .38 snub, my logic is that having a second gun with longer barrel, which is easier to hit with and gives better ballistics for use beyond 25-50 yards makes sense if space constraints preclude carrying a rifle, and the basic ammo load in the GHB is useable in either gun. Two .38 Special revolvers makes good sense for me and I have no intention of changing.

I don't think you can have too many sturdy .38s...

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Revolver .22 chamber inserts

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire