lundi 25 mai 2020

It's Never Over for Vietnam Vets

In these times of isolation and closed churches, my suburban neighborhood has created a pleasant custom. Every Sunday morning people gather, without reference to specific beliefs or dogma, near the home of a local musician. Standing there (appropriately distanced), they say "Hello" to each other and then sing hymns played by the musician. If my man wanted to go, it was fine with me; I slept in.

Yesterday he wore a new Vietnam Veterans hat. A neighbor, spotting it, went ballistic.

"You were in Vietnam?" she shrieked. "I was against the war, and you were one of those baby killers?"

My man mentioned a family history of military service so Americans would have the right to meet freely for a religious sing if they chose. The neighbor didn't listen, just as she hadn't listened decades ago.

The incident renewed my decision to tell no one about my prepping. Hard times don't bring people together; they just reemphasize the differences. No way I'm sharing with people who were my enemies so long ago and remain so today.

Memorial Day was/is a sham. A day when traitors pretend to appreciate the sacrifices made for them but really feel nothing but contempt.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



It's Never Over for Vietnam Vets

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire