dimanche 22 mai 2016

New Moulds for the SKS and Mosin

Picked up a couple new moulds for the SKS and Mosin rifles over the past few weeks. The NOE 155 gr. GC FP I originally bought for my SKS rifle as it is a true .314" dia. mould. I cast up a couple hundred over the weekend to give me something to work with the bullets actually drop at .315" which is bonus if I ever need one that large.

The other mould is the Lee .312" 185 gr. RN. I plan on shooting this one in my Mosin rifles as it's a pretty close match to the Lyman 314299 but much cheaper. I cast this bullet for COWW's + 2% Tin and water quenched,final bullet dia measured at .314". I going to push these with something along the lines of 28 to 30 grs. of IMR-4895 and about 3/4 grs. of Dacron filler which seem to improve accuracy over not using a filler at all with the slower burning stick powders.

Part of the Lee 185 gr. mould block.

A few of the bullets I cast up Saturday from the Lee mould.

I was a bit hesitant about the Lee mould but after talking with a couple guys that had recently bought one I felt a lot better about the chances it would cast bullets at .314"

I really didn't want another mould that would just cast .312" or smaller that I could use in my 30 cal. rifles as I already have plenty of moulds to cover that base,so I was happy when I put my calipers on the driving band and they measure .314"+ which will give me .001" over what I need.

Now to the task of making up a dummy rd. to set my seating depth a few thousands off the leads and check to see if the amount of Dacron filler is enough to take up the space between powder and bullet.

Here is basically how the assembled rd. will look to check all this out. The photo is form Larry Gibson who recently won the Arizona CBA ie Cast Bullet Assoc. Military rifle match shooting a 1944 Finn M39 using the exact same combination.

Photo courtesy of Larry Gibson

Here is my recently acquired 1933 HEX 91/30 I just refinish an doing some bedding and accuracy improvement on that I will be testing my load out in. She has a really nice bore especially after I gave it a good soaking overnight in Kroil's Oil and brushed and patched it several times and removed all the crud.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



New Moulds for the SKS and Mosin

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire