lundi 15 mai 2017

Vacuum sealing retort bags without a chamber

Hi everyone, this is my first ever post I do a lot of camping and hiking and I really like the idea of retort caning but there’s no way I’m going to spend lots and lots of money on a vacuum chamber.

My idea is to use a non-chamber vacuum sealer with zip lock retort bags. I plan to evacuate the pouch, seal the zip lock, remove the pouch from the vacuum sealer and then heat seal the pouch properly. Then sterilise in a pressure cooker.

I have done my research and lots of people say non-chamber vacuum sealers aren’t suitable for retort canning as they don’t pull as much vacuum as the chamber type, and the heat bar doesn’t get hot enough to seal a retort bag.
I can get round the heat bar problem by sealing zip lock bags under vacuum and then use a separate heat sealer to make a more robust / permanent seal. And I could increase the vacuum by replacing or fitting an auxiliary vacuum pump to the vacuum sealer.

One thing I haven’t been able to find is what would be an adequate vacuum? I guess it can’t be less than about 980 mbar or liquid would boil at room temperature. Does anyone know what vacuum the chamber type sealers go down to?

I am just floating this idea before I spend any money so any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Vacuum sealing retort bags without a chamber

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire