dimanche 27 août 2017

The modern civilian equivalent of a PRC-77?

I passed my Technician and General Amateur Radio exams last weekend, so now I am shopping for my first gear. I want to start out with a simple man-portable walkabout/bicycle-friendly kit for urban or woodland recon, bugout/bugin, and get home. (Later, as I become more proficient, I will explore mobile and base.) Similar in use concept to the way the Army used old PRC-77's back in the day, but smaller, lighter, and with 21st Century features and capabilities.

As much as is practical for a handheld, I want to be able to utilize the bands and frequencies that I will be able to legally transmit on, once my General license shows up in the FCC database.

Budget is somewhat flexible; I would rather spend a bit more and buy quality gear once, than end up with a box-full of broken cheapos and regret a few years down the line.

Criteria:

  • Handheld, or SMALL pack if the increased size can be justified with significantly greater capabilities.
  • Rugged, Milspec or similar preferred.
  • Waterproof to 6-8 feet (heavy rain, wading, fording, accidental tumble out of a boat).
  • I prefer common battery types, or a unit that is easily converted using a holder or adapter (like my scanner). Not a deal-breaker if it is a proprietary battery, but I like the idea of being able to scavenge.
  • Able to be powered from external power (home or auto adapter, crank, or solar).
  • Can be degraded but still effective on the move, if I am unable to stop and deploy a larger antenna.
  • CW capability a big plus.
  • GPS is handy, but not a requirement. I taught Map Reading and Land Nav, and I still own a compass and an unopened case of Grid Squares ;-)
  • I loathe trying to impress others; I don't care about the brand name, and I don't do ****ing contests over who has the most infrequently-used bells and whistles.
  • It doesn't have to be so simple to use that a monkey could do it, but added complexity has to pay off.
  • Antenna options: Something that won't draw attention, but again, function trumps form. I'm OK with having a nice Yagi if it can be broken down and slung over my shoulder or lashed to my pack frame.
  • Mic and headset options: I only have experience with handhelds, and the boom mic in my Tanker's CVC helmet. I have never used a throat mic, but I understand the concept. I don't give a damn if it looks cool; I do give a damn if it is so unobtrusive that people don't even notice that I have it.

I readily admit, I am a new Ham and I don't know what I don't know. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



The modern civilian equivalent of a PRC-77?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire