mercredi 17 janvier 2018

Riley Defense MFT AK-47 -- Awesome

So I received my Riley Defense MFT AK-47 7.62x39mm rifle yesterday. Allow me to start just by saying I am very happy so far, and it's very nice, very nice.

Now that we've established that, details. I decided to order one knowing full well the reputation of American AKs. However, as I am smarter than most people and furthermore very much a research junkie, I felt very comfortable placing this order after doing my research.

The main "cons" I was faced with were of course the obvious pervasive attitude on American-made AK platforms first and foremost. Also, there were quite a few insistent people pushing a theory that Riley Defense is IO rebranded. I am quite certain that is false. Without going on for hours and hours, as I could see, IO Inc was based in Monroe, NC. They then moved to a new and supposedly large/"state of the art" facility in south FL. Riley Defense is based in Charlotte, NC ... by Google that makes it about 45 mins away. Certainly not all the distance in the world but still, not next door (there is someone somewhere on the net claiming they literally set up shop across the street, changed the name, and presto.) Then there is the claim that the Riley Defense owners are the engineers from IO. What I could gather is they do in fact employ the former 'lead engineer' from IO... but have a totally different mindset, philosophy, and process on business and building the AKs. Riley Defense certainly seems to be as focused on quality as possible and producing the finest rifle for the price they can, and correspondingly to offer as high a value-for-dollar as possible... in the wine business this is often referred to as QPR -- Quality to Price Ratio, and it's a huge business deal and market driver.

Well, I was thinking about buying another AK. I have an original Zastava PAP from 2010 when they came into the country, but they're single-stack and with a specific , curved trunnion that will not accept normal stocks and pistol grips. It's not a matter of conversion, it would require serious gunsmithing and welding/etc. to change these rifles. I have seen people do it, but it's much more metalwork than I am capable of and an expensive thing to do. So while I love the PAP I have as a survival rifle, it's not a primary fighting rifle. I thought about one of the current NPAPs but I wanted something more 'tactical' as that is more to my tastes and training. And I will be perfectly honest, I'd loved to buy an Arsenal SAM7SF -- $1400+. And maybe I should have bought an SGL-21 years ago, but, I didn't. When I saw the MFT model of the Riley Defense series, I really, really liked it.

It comes with an aluminum quad-rail handguard I believe made by AIM Sports, as is the pistol grip the AIM Sports AK Grip. Further, it comes with an adjustable Mission First Tactical minimalist battle stock , VERY NICE. Claims to be the lightest stock on the market. It also comes with a AMD65-style muzzle brake. I threw an extra Magpul AFG I had lying around on the quad rail and loaded up the 3 new Korean steel mags + the ProMag it came with, and let me say WOW.

*FLAWLESS* Function and *amazing* accuracy for an AK. I just was blown away. And it handles like a dream, feels great... I could not find a single thing I didn't love. Felt great with the stock collapsed ... (I am only 5'8" 145lbs. so I am a collapsed, shorter-stock kind of guy) -- and shot very nice with the stock extended. I had only got through the 4 mags when I got a message on my radio down at my range telling me that my dog was getting real upset because it was loud as hell, so I had to call it quits. I know that's no proper break-in or stress test, but still, very positive and very encouraging.

I realize some will just not approve of an American AK, and some will say "well you should have bought an XYZ or ABC" but I bought what I wanted, and it was just what I hoped to be -- awesome.

Highly recommended. Riley Defense is doing good things. If you read reviews of all the people who actually BOUGHT them, they all love them. And they have a 2 year warranty that they seem to want to show they take seriously, if you have any problem, contact them and they fix it right away.

Will update more as I go. I could not put my Aimpoint Micro on it because it seems I have stripped the mount shaft screw. But the sights were great. Hopefully I can test out the Aimpoint soon enough.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Riley Defense MFT AK-47 -- Awesome

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire