vendredi 22 mai 2020

Is there a trick to cooking corn grits soft?

Microwave for six minutes, stirring at 3 minutes, 2 minutes and one minute to avoid clumping. I grew up with a pot of oatmeal and a pot of grits on the rangetop every morning. Mom said the secret was to bring them to a boil, then bring it down to a medium temp. On an electric range that is 9, then 4 and stir frequently, like rice. That alows the heat to fully cook the grits over 15 minutes.

For creamy grits, I add a teaspoon of bacon grease, a teaspoon of salted butter, a teaspoon of powdered gravy mix and about 6 oz of water. You may need to stir in another oz or two of water at 2 minutes and 1 minute to get to a creamy texture. Micro as outlined above. I like spicy so I add in a shake or three of red pepper flake instead of sugar.

Then use table seasoning to taste. I add two shakes of garlic and stir in. Sometimes I add in 4 oz of mexican cheese for cheesy grits. A friend says that grated gouda cheese is excellent, and she is a hardcore foodie so I'm trying it ! This is my breakfast 4 days each week.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Is there a trick to cooking corn grits soft?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire