vendredi 22 mai 2020

Outdoor Kitchen Project

Getting ready to start work on an outdoor kitchen and I am interested in any suggestions as to functionality and layout for the space.

The project space is located at the north end of the main garden, about 60 feet from the west end of my house. The area is fenced and has power to it. I will probably run a line for propane and potable water off the house lines, at some point.

I leveled a 12' x 16' area (12' north/south by 16' east/west) and placed four 6" round posts in a 8' x 12' rectangle layout. I am planning on a shed style roof with ~2 foot overhangs out from the post supports.

My main concerns right now are to make sure to plan in space for different cooking and food prep areas.

I am planning on putting in a rocket stove heater on the northwest side of the space. I have an old wood cookstove that I am disassembling to be repurposed for the top cooking area above the flame for the rocket stove.

In the north central area, I am thinking of putting in a masonry BBQ pit.

My current thoughts for the south side of the kitchen is to have a counter running the full east/west length for food prep on the north side of the counter and bar stools on the south side. I think a sink with a drain to the asparagus bed downhill from this area will fit well. Probably build a large home-made cooler into the under-counter space, as well.

I expect to pick up a couple of propane burners to be used on the surface of the counter area during severe fire season (typically late July/August).

Using the rocket stove, I hope be able to use the cast iron cook surface for high temp cooking, like canning and frying, as well as more moderate temps at the end away from the fire for standard range-top cooking. Slow cooking may not be a good fit for the rocket stove type setup. I will have to see how well the mass holds heat after the fire burns down.

The BBQ area will be designed for charcoal based cooking and to possibly use for a smoker if I can get a metal cabinet built to be propped over the BBQ pit.

I will try and get some pics of the site up soon, and maybe a schematic to make it easier to plan the layout.

I appreciate any thoughts, tips or suggestions!

KB

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Outdoor Kitchen Project

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire