samedi 20 août 2016

Scope recommendations

I am in the market for a couple of decent rifle scopes.

The first I need something for myAR, a 16" Recce. I want something in the mid range of power and only have a mid range budget <$800. I'd like variable power with at least a 9 or 10 power top end. My eyes are getting old and tired. I want as clear of glass and as much magnification as I can get without being bulky or expensive. Lighted would be cool, and no huge turrets, though small ones ok.

Next up is a .308 Savage Axis my wife gave me when I turned 50. I know it's a cheap rifle considered by many to be an entry level gun, but it's the only time in over 20 years she ever bought me a gun. I'm obligated to keep it, but I want to build it up. Damn thing shoots very well. Better than I expected.

I have replaced the crappy Axis stock with a Boyd's laminate one. (much nicer)
I have done the cut coil trigger job. (big improvement)
I have had a bolt handle made for me by a guy on savageshooters.com (bigger than stock, but not overly so, much easier to operate)

I am now looking to upgrade the cheap Tasco 3x9 that came on my .308 Axis.

Recommendations?

I'm wanting a variable power scope, again with at least a 9 or 10 power top end. I'll never shoot 1,000 yards with it, but I like more magnification. (again with the old eyes) I would love a 16 power top end, but I don't want one so big it makes the rifle look too "tacticool". I am wanting to keep the somewhat traditional look for the most part, but with better optics so I can see the target better. I'll be deviating from the traditional hunting rifle look a bit, but not too much. Think "old retired guy's hunting rifle" with a slight tactical twist. I'll be shortening the barrel and adding a brake, (possible future suppressor) and I'll be adding the CDI Precision bottom metal for the 5 and 10 round AI mags, so it will loose a bit of the traditional look, but I don't want a huge bulky full on sniper scope on it. I don't mind turrets as long as they are not too big. A lighted scope would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker. Not looking to spend over $500 or $600 on this one unless I fall in love with something.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Scope recommendations

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire