mercredi 10 août 2016

True Mini SHTF Just Happened to Me, Lessons Learned

Hey all,
I am in SWLA and a bad storm front just went through. Power went down for abput half hour. Wife, adult son and mother in law who has alzheimers(like a 4 year old) and is hardly mobile were there.

Power went out, no problem. I pulled out my edc flashlight in order to get to my stash of led lanterns, I told everyone to relax. No Problem. I was bash in a jiffy with 2 led lanterns so immediate lighting was available then went to the shop for more lights.

My stove is gas so I turned everything off so nothing would burn or start a fire while I was finishing setting out lighting.

I took this time to comment to the wife on having a whole house generator just for this situation!!!

Once E lighting was established we got my mother in law to her bedroom to lay down, figure it's the safest spot for her at this point. She has a recliner that is electric powered because she cannot manually adjust a chair by herself. We literally had to pick the chair up and tilt it so she could get out of it because she was in a reclined position when the power went out.

Now, with E lights put out and Mother in law safely stowed I went back to cooking. Lo and behold the power comes back on. All told about 30 minutes of outage.

Great we figure," hey mom, come back out and watch TV"

She comes back out and goes to the den. I am congratulating myself for doing such a great job during this little outage when I hear my wife yell. ,,,, I run to the source of the panic to find my MIL trying to climb into her chair from the side and tipping it over. Why??? when power went out the chair was in a recline position. When power came back on it was in that same position. She could not simply sit down into it. Common sense would have dictated that you simply push the button to close the leg rest. My MIL does not have the mental capacity anymore to understand that.

We were able to stop her from hurting herself but the lesson was learned.

Always think and put yourself in the position of the weakest of your group. What seems common sense to you or me is not the same for all of the group.

This was written quickly, forgive the grammatical errors, etc.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



True Mini SHTF Just Happened to Me, Lessons Learned

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire