dimanche 17 septembre 2017

mason jar broke during processing

I made and canned several quarts of salsa last night and had one of the Mason jars break during the processing phase. I've processed hundreds of jars over the years (if not thousands) and have never had this happen before. So I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if anyone has an idea of what caused it to happen. It really sucked losing a quart of very excellent salsa, and having a mess to clean up.

The jar was a true Mason jar. It was one of a large assortment I had been given recently by a guy in his 60s who said his mother had used them for canning. So the jar has been around for at least a few decades and had probably been used in canning many times.

The jars I used last night were more squarish than typical Mason jars and that might have had something to do with it, since vessels intended to withstand pressure are usually made round because round is stronger than square. But all the ones I used were squarish and only one broke (thank God).

I had just put the jars into the big pot on a canning rack and the water was starting to heat up. I heard a pop and looked in and the water was all full of salsa. Two pieces of glass about an inch and a half across had just blown out one of the sides.

Anyway, I want to make sure it doesn't happen again. So has anyone else had this happen? Or know how to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Let's block ads! (Why?)



mason jar broke during processing

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire