samedi 16 septembre 2017

The sling, the stick, and the table

I decided late in the day that I wanted to go try out my new sling and shooting stick. So, instead of making the three-hour, round-trip drive to my gun club, I opted for the public gun range and saved myself 1-1/2 hours of driving. While it is closer, the biggest downside of the public range is it’s only a 100 yds.

And, just in case there’s someone who hasn’t read one of my previous thread:

The rifle is a PTR 91, GI model, with the standard front sight, and an HK 1200 meter rear sight.

The ammunition is German surplus.

I started out by re-checking my windage and elevation at 30 meters. The zero at 30 and 200 meters is supposed to be the same, and 200 meters is also the lowest setting on my rear sight. I was shooting off of the table with a rest.

The big grid squares are 1” with ¼” grid squares inside of them; the red square in the center is 2”. I knew I pulled the 3rd shot to my right (target left) when I broke the shot. So, I did a slight windage adjustment before the 4th and 5th shots.

Next I put a B-27 target at 100 yds and fired 10 shots at it from a standing position using my sling as a support.

Then I sat on the table seat (when I sat on the floor, the rail was in the way) and used my monopod shooting stick as my only support while firing 10 rounds at another B-27 target at 100 yds.

And then I finished up with two (what I call) Red Dawn targets and one Dog target on the same backer at 100 yds. I shot all three targets from the table with the gun rest (my “hide”).

I started with a single shot at each RD target, and then fired the remaining shots.

The Dog target is scaled so that at 100 yds it is supposed to simulate a full-sized target at 400 yds. However, I realize that hitting a scaled target at 100 yds isn’t really the same as hitting the full-size target at 400 yds. Nevertheless, I’ll take 47 out of 50 points, with 7 out of 10 rounds inside the small silhouette at that distance.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



The sling, the stick, and the table

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire