vendredi 31 août 2018

Shifting prepping gears with the seasons

Labor day is here, and in a few weeks the fall equinox will arrive on September 22.

As the seasons change, so should our prepping goals. Here on the farm the deer hunting stands are being fixed, and I may plant a fall / winter garden.

Since July fishing has eased up under the brutal summer temperatures. As the cool fall weather arrives, hopefully the fishing will pick back up.

It will not be long and the cold fronts will arrive and the dead of winter will set in. Predictions say we may be in for a cold 2018 - 2019 winter, but time will tell.

I may plant some

  • Fall beans / peas
  • Rutabagas
  • Turnip greens

Undecided on winter squash, such as acorn squash.

My job has me working 10 hour days, and I have not checked on the garden in a week. The okra has probably grown to long to harvest. I might make some homemade hot sauce this week with some of the jalapeno peppers.

The 2018 spring garden started with a rough start, but things went well after the rain stopped.

I have not harvested a deer in years. I may take one here on the farm this year, or maybe go out to the public hunting lands on the Angelina River here hear Jasper, Texas.

Not sure if I will run any trotlines this fall. Just spending a day on the river fishing is usually enough for me.

There are some remote areas deep in the sloughs I may go hunting at.

As summer fades away I am looking forward to the cool weather of fall and winter.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Shifting prepping gears with the seasons

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire