samedi 25 août 2018

Your "cool factor" knives...

"Cool Factors" are quite relative and very subjective, but since everybody has different tastes, it does make it interesting and it’s also what makes the knife culture so diverse. We have our tactical mall-ninja knife guys to the traditional slip-joint gentlemen and a diverse spectrum in between. “Cool” could be looks, function, ergonomics, design, history, or (for me) the story behind the knife…what’s your “coolest” knife or knives?

I really liked the old Blackjack Mamba, and when I saw Bark River doing their own version several years ago, I jump on one:

Admittedly, I had a fantasy-mall-ninja hankering several years ago. I saw an article about a custom Szabo Bush Sword and fell in love (stupidly…but that’s what knife lovers do). It’s been a fun piece to whack smaller limbs off and slash through vines and blackberry thickets. Usefulness is questionable, but “cool” it certainly is!

Outside of wood-focused Scandi knives, my favorite two have been the funky looking but very functional Habilis Bush Tool:

The other has been my Ed Martin Bush-Craft Tactical:

I followed Ron Hood closely before his unfortunate passing. At the time, he was working on his latest “Hoodlum” design which ultimately was produced by Buck Knives. Before that, Ron had a run of the same design done by TOPS knives, and I was able to snag one…it’s special for several reasons, but more importantly, I know TOPS doesn’t some of the best heat-treatment in the industry and this is not only a prized possession, but a very functional bush tool for me:

Shifting over to work, I carried a Mad Dog Pygmy ATAK for close to two decades, a trip to South America, Egypt, Iraq, and Afghanistan (x2), along with multiple field exercises and it was even my garrison duty EDC:

Of course, nothing says "cool" cooler than an a Polkowski Mongoose and Busse Steel Heart II (in A2 steel from the early 90's):

Maybe more sentimental than cool, but when Andy Roy from Fiddleback Forge was just getting started in 2007, I was deployed to Iraq and contact him about getting one of his Nessmuks. Andy was so gracious, he sent me one of his very first knives out of the goodness of his heart...I was blown away and it's been a cherished blade ever since (pictured with my late Grandfather's JC Higgins .22 revolver). So, my pre-Fiddleback Forge Nessmuk has a combat tour under its belt...sometimes the "cool" part is the story behind the blade.

Another cool knife to me is my Rick Hinderer XM18. Ironically, I ordered one without the flipper as I was really wasn't sure about them at the time. This was shipped to me in Iraq as well and not only a cool knife, but Rick's wife and his mother/father-in-law packed the blade into a massive box full of snacks, food, and other comfort items much appreciated by many in my battalion. It was a first-class act from another knife maker that really makes me proud to know...it's guys like these that have put the tangible meaning into lengthy combat deployments away from home and family...to me, that's pretty cool.

Lastly, I'm splurging on a new custom blade. I'm working (again) in Afghanistan, and was looking for a new defensive knife. I saw Ben Ten****'s Kraiken design and it just sung a siren's song to me. It's now on it's way to Afghanistan:

ROCK6

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Your "cool factor" knives...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire