samedi 25 février 2017

Equatorial Rain Forest, how to survive and not damage the forest.

I have been hiking solo when I can in the Malaysian Equatorial Rain forest for some time now. And when I go, I try to practice survival in it. I do bring what a hiker brings, but I use the food and water at a very last resort.

As I go on, I will be adding on to this thread:
1. What I have in my survival kit.
2. How do I find water that need not be processed.
3. How do I process water if I need to.
4. How do I make fire and keep the fire from being put out by heavy rain.
5. What kind of food is available.
6. What I use to make shelters without extensively damaging the trees.

I am sure there are other experts in this field, but I think sharing what I bring and do, will not hurt anyone as we can discuss whatever issues here, and I can learn more from the experts.

For now, my survival kit.

My survival kit is built around to my own needs. If I get lose in the jungle, my priorities will be shelter, fire, water, food and protection, followed by how do I get to civilization.

My kit is usually made up of these few items:-
1. A ferro rod with a small container of cotton balls with 100% petroleum jelly (vaseline).
2. A small ziplock bag containing rolled cotton in wax. ( I need fire more than a shelter and have a phobia of not being able to make fire).
3. A Cree Torchlight.
4. 1 Illumate lamp, able to give SOS strobs ( I bought 4 of these about 8 years ago, and now I couldn't find them on internet. They're still working.)
5. 10 strips of Aquatab Water Purifying tablets. 10 on each strip.
6. A Trangia Mess Tin ( I put everything into this tin).
7. My Fishing kit with assorted hooks, weight and 20 feet of fishing line. I added some artificial worms and spinners.
8. My mini first aid kit containing a stitch kit, some bandages, iodine, bandaids, anti histamin tablets, gastric tablets ( Control Loc), pain killers and eye drops.
9. 2 pieces of disposable ponchos from 7/11.
10. Sea To Summit Tarp Poncho.
11. 100 feet of 550lbs military spec paracord, double cobra weaved as my belt.
12. 17 feet of same type paracord as my paracord bracelet.
13. Mini compass
14. Whistle.
15. My Ontario Blackbird SK5 knife.
16. 2 smoke flares.

For other things I need, I can get them from the jungle, such as cooking pots, firewood, water container, food and some valuable medicinal herbs.

I usually have a Duku Chandung Parang on my belt, in case someone says I need a bigger knife.

I always wear a Sea To Summit Kimberly hat.

That's about it for my Survival Kit. I will leave this to be discussed until I move on to the next step.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Equatorial Rain Forest, how to survive and not damage the forest.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire