mardi 10 juillet 2018

Hornady American Die Set Opinions

Hello internet.

I just got done sizing and depriming 160 223 cases through the Hornady American Die Set. I'm kind of on the fence about whether i like it or not right now, honestly.

First off, let me just say that the sizing and decapping die did its job: all of the cases were sized and the primers were removed. That being said, I have some gripes.

Number one: the finish. Petty? Perhaps. Really, there's only two complaints here. The markings on the die to identify caliber are sloppily stamped, though clearly readable. Just not the best job done. Then there are the locking rings. They appear to be cast and unpolished with just a layer of black paint covering. And while this does provide a decent grip, it looks unprofessional.

Second: the locking rings. They didn't like to stay tight. I had to readjust the decapping pin lock nut twice. The first time around case # 50, and the second around #130. The second time I really cranked down on it with a wrench, but I didn't have very many cases after that, so we'll see how it holds up. I snugged the thing with the wrench both initially and the first time it came loose, then really cranked down on it the second time. The actual lock ring for the whole die kept it in the right position, but it fits the threads a little too loosely for my taste. It's like its thread diameter is a couple thousandths too big. Again, it worked, but it seems sloppy.

I understand that it's a budget die set, but is it really that hard to fix these couple things? Or am I just being too hard on it. After all, it has worked properly.

On the pro side, it does come with caliber appropriate shell holder and two extra decapping pins. It's also cheaper than RCBS or Lyman dies.

I'll be loading up some rounds tomorrow to test the seating and crimping die, so I'll report back then.

So I'm curious if anyone else has the American series of dies from Hornady and what your thoughts are on it.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Hornady American Die Set Opinions

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire