vendredi 13 juillet 2018

Hybrid seeds

yes, I know, heirloom can be saved, giving you a perpetual supply. I store some for long term us and use some yearly.

But I also use hybrid seeds. In my area, we are approaching the time when they will be put on sale. usually $0.10 to $0.25 cents a package at hardware stores and walmart etc.

I buy them all sometimes, double package in freezer bags and put them in the deep freeze. every year I pull a few packages out, let them come to room temp on a paper towel and plant. germination rates run 50-60%. not great, but for 10 cents a package, I think it is a great long term store.

when the SHTF I wont care if I am eating a hybrid tomato or an heirloom, well heirloom tastes better, but you understand what I am saying.

It isn't a long term solution, but like all LTS foods, it can be a good gap that helps get your full scale gardening going.

anyone else do this??

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Hybrid seeds

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire