dimanche 19 août 2018

Putting up a chain link fence by yourself

I've been working on replacing some old field fence around the front of my property with 5' chain link. It's taken me six weeks, working weekends and most late afternoons for at least a couple of hours. So far, I have the front done, which consists of two wide gates and then the fence out to the front property corners. And materials aren't cheap, either.

I was going to buy an auger for my tractor's three point hookup to drill post holes, but didn't. I've been using post hole diggers because the ground has been, so far, moist enough to be easily dig-able. It doesn't take me too long to dig a hole.

I've been using a come-along setup to hold the fence upright in place and to keep it tight while I put on all the tension bars and clips and rail end things.

Cementing the poles in, I'm mixing one 60 lb. bag of cement at a time (I can handle the 60 lb bags much easier than the 80) in a wheelbarrow, the old fashioned way.

It's been a learning experience because I've never put up chain link before, but for having never done it, so far it looks really good. It's straight, tight, and just about perfectly level. There are a couple of spots where if you really look at the top rail, you can tell it's not perfectly level, but basically no one has noticed it until I pointed it out, so it must not be too out of whack.

I have to admit, I'm proud of myself for accomplishing this much, especially in the high heat and humidity of deep east Texas.

I still have probably months worth of work left putting up new chain link along another property line and doing a little cross fencing in a couple of areas. Maybe with autumn's cooler weather it will become easier to do.

Anyone else take on a job like this by themselves?

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Putting up a chain link fence by yourself

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire