lundi 6 août 2018

Anybody got a 10.4 X 47 Italian Vetterli?

Also known as a Mod 70/87 Italian Vetterli.

In a survival application if you can reload you can field a larger variety of weapons you might happen up on. For instance this is what I did with one.

I was given one of these about three years ago found in the attic of wife's aunt when her house was being cleaned out after her death. I was called to see if I wanted it as no one in her family wanted it. Not being one to look a gift rifle in the muzzle I went over immediately and snatched it up.

It had problems, somebody had tried to do a trigger job on it and firing pin dropped as bolt was closed and only held if bolt was very slowly closed. Bore initially looked bad but cleaned up about 97% perfect. The original ammo had a grease groove and apparently the grease was left in bore which preserved it so well.

I got a friend to TIG weld the sear on the striker and build it back up like original and I ground it down to where it won't drop when bolt closes and made up cases from 348 Winchester brass.

Guess what you can load it with Lee 41 Swiss dies by backing them off the shell holder about 1/8". Takes a Sierra 240 gr 44 Mag jacketed bullet just fine.

It has a battle sight as those old rifles had very heavy bullets and battle zeros were 200 to 300 meters so it shoots high at closer ranges. I will be fabricating a higher front sight for it when I get time so I can get POA/POI at 100 yards.


Excellent example of front sight replacement design I found on internet. My variation will incorporate a M14 front sight so I can adjust it for windage. I figure for a hunting firearm and the bullet weight about 100 yards should be about right. I can calculate the trajectory with Sierra ballistics program.

348 Win case on left, trimmed and reformed 11.4 case on right.


Trimming 348 Win down to 47MM case length. Note collar that had to be made to hold case while it was trimmed down.


Annealing neck/shoulder prior to loading

neck expander I made to open 348 Win case necks up to 11.4MM


As trimmed on right, fireformed on left

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Anybody got a 10.4 X 47 Italian Vetterli?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire