mercredi 1 août 2018

Raising Rabbits for Dinner

Goal,
Keep 1-2 does and one buck to only be mated once or twice a year (we can only eat so much rabbit meat). Extremely low maintance and need the ability to leave rabbits unattended for a week occasionally. Minimal feeding/care costs and effort; my life is busy enough.

I have about 300 sf in partial shade with thick grass/weeds much of the year that would be easy to fence. Area can be expanded to 700 sf with minimal work. Burried waterline in the area so automatic watering a possibility. Close to the house so few predator problems and I'd run an electric top line on top of a 4' tall fence (keep the barn cat out). I'd also put rocks on the fence line to discourage digging. Hawks shouldn't me much of a problem with this location behind the solar panels.

I'd keep the buck fenced away from the does except when I wanted to breed. Wood for hutches would be at no cost but if I've got to spend $8 in feed per eating rabbit it's not worth it to me. From what i understand rabbits grow much faster on feed but I'm trying to minimize feed costs and the effort of daily feeding.

How much thick grass does it take to feed a healthy rabbit? I can get a roll of good hay to feed when the grass is poor (winter) but I want to minimize store bought feed and effort.

Seperate but related question. Like the requirements for selling eggs can I sell fresh or frozen rabbit in small numbers here in GA? Less than a thousand per year. I ask because I've got several acres that I can expand the rabbits on if I can make enough profit.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Raising Rabbits for Dinner

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire