lundi 6 août 2018

Wet tumbling without steel pins

I have a standard vibratory tumbler, the type that you fill with crushed walnut shells, and I have a wet tumbler, the type where you add water, LemiShine, Dawn and several pounds of steel pins.

Both annoy me in different ways. I favor the wet tumbler, but it's a hassle clearing the pins out. They are so small that it's difficult to drain water while capturing the pins. So, I drain as best I can and then use a magnet to grab them out of the water. It works ok but is a hassle.

Then it occurred to me - if I omitted the pins, the pieces of brass will still be in the tumbler banging against each other. Won't that clean the outside of the case pretty well?

It would do little if anything for the inside of the case, but it should clean it to at least vibratory (walnut) tumbler standards, and all you have to do at the end is drain the water ... right? Am I overlooking something?

Then, next question - is there anything cheap and disposable I could use to clean the inside of the cases, without worrying about pouring it down the drain later? It's ok if it doesn't work as well as the pins.

Small plastic beads (big enough to catch in a colander)? Heck, a handful of walnut media?

Seems like time to experiment ... but first, thought I'd ask if others have had the same thought process and tried anything similar. Thanks.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Wet tumbling without steel pins

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire