jeudi 21 septembre 2017

Using recycled materials - Build a shed or small structure

No serious damage occurred to the shed over the winter, but the frame became un-square with lack of support. I should have improved the trusses and nailed cross members on the frame and it caused it to become unsquare.

Worked on it a few hours here and there with the help of a very dedicated friend named Jesse. He's a former construction worker and very knowledgeable.

This summer, we squared the frame, fixed the trusses with correct cross members and vertical supports, shingled the roof, and put up the walls, installed the remaining 4 windows, steel door, and fabricated the front double doors, and I've painted it and begun installing vinyl siding.

MAJOR mistake on the front and back of the roof was foolishly not doing an overhang of 1-2 feet. If there was one thing I wish I had a re-do on, it's doing an overhang. Dumb move. So we spent a few hours doing a front door awning.

Had to purchase the shingles and plywood retail.
4 windows were free upcycled ~$200 each (6 windows total, probably $1000 in windows)
Steel door was free upcycled ~$200
Vinyl siding was free remnants ~$500
Framing and roofing nails and door hardware (11 hinges) was either free or nearly free at garage sales
Paint was 75% discounted Home Depot mis-tinted gallon, about $9
Back stairs were free fabricated stairs from a deck tear down. I just braced them and nailed them in place as is. Saved a lot of time and money on risers and measuring.

So far it's been an educational and enjoyable, and at times frustrating, project. Yes, I know I could buy a kit and get it up in a week. I didn't want to go that route. I wanted to build this for nearly zero material costs and have a hand in design and building it from scratch.

It has been a LOT of hours of labor. Definitely not cost effective. But I am also very proud of the build and doing it with ~75% recycled materials. I'd estimate there are many thousands of dollars of free materials here.

Not completely done yet, but it's weatherized and just really needs the remainder of the siding installed, and some overhang soffet, etc. And I'm going to build a front door ramp.

I post this as encouragement to upcycle materials and build yourself a small structure or shed.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Using recycled materials - Build a shed or small structure

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire