lundi 13 août 2018

Homemade Smoker - Input Desired

OK DYIers, I've got a mission for you. I bought a commercial stainless steel cooler that looks like this:

I am going to use it as the basis for a massive smoker. Here's where we sit. I am pulling all the mechanical stuff off the cooler as salvage. I am pouring a 5x7 concrete slab for it to sit on. I have a 55gal. drum stove and 6 inch flu, with a damper, that will act as the fire box and delivery system. I am building a wood pavilion to go over it to protect somewhat it from the elements. A chimney will run up through the roof. So here is where your imagination and expertise comes in:

1) It's been suggested to flip it upside down, so the "floor" of the smoker is about 18 inch from the concrete. It could be done, as the top of the cooler is pretty sturdy. It would also give me more usable area for racks and such. It also gives means the door is left hinged, which works out good for my setup. Good idea, or bad?

2) The seal is in good shape, do you think I need to replace it with a more heavy duty higher temp one?

3) Is 6in flu too big, and is 5.5 ft a long enough run to cool the smoke down?

4) How best to connect the flu to the smoker itself? I am thinking of 6in Wall Thimble, maybe? Any ideas on something cheaper that wouldn't need as big a hole?

5) I want a vent at the top, with a damper as well. Due to the height, it needs to come out the side, not the top. Any ideas on either metal or wood designs?

FWIW, I've got ideas for answers to all these questions. I just want to hear what you think. That is unless you are going to post about what a stupid idea it is. I don't give a crap in that regard, so don't clutter up my thread with your negativity.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Homemade Smoker - Input Desired

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire