vendredi 23 février 2018

Being a seed bank

I drove around today giving away seeds (long story)
I also got some in return. (Some field peas that "got her family through the depression". ..she says they are particularly hearty/drought resistant.)

I think it made me think when I came home.

I save seeds, both leftovers from last year, as well as I'm attempting to add a couple types each year until I'm saving most seeds.
But enough for "me"

I've also started a seed exchange at church.

But most people get seeds every year "from the grid"

So: if there was no delivery.... even people with tractors and farm tanks of fuel wouldn't have anything to plant. (Not in volume anyway)

I think I'm going to do some math and figure out how much of what as far as calories and acres:
and spend a few dollars every year on at minimum corn, beans, and squash that I'll never use. (Don't have room for.)

Dent corn (cornmeal corn, not sweet corn)
And a squash that'll keep.

Herlum, and hearty. I'll probably buy new every year and keep it 5 years and then use it as chicken feed or something.

But people can't plant if they don't have anything to plant.

Don't know WHY this hadn't occurred to me before!
(To clairify: NOT for myself, but to distribute to other people so that they can have a crop.)

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Being a seed bank

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire