jeudi 1 février 2018

Where does the bivvy fit into your sleep layers?

I haven't made my bivy yet. I'll be sewing it out of a coated nylon water proof bottom with Gore-Tex type breathable water resistant fabric for rest. I'll use a water resistant zipper down the side and have the option for attaching a supported hood with bug screen at the head end - think micro tent.

It's the outer layer to keep my bag cleaner and dry. Depends on the weather and if I'm in a shelter of some sort. I get winter at home -30 without the wind chill at times.

Only worn in bed - a set of polypropylene long john's, beanie hat, booties. Fleece bag liner, perhaps a thin sheet, cozy wrapped hot water bottles, sleeping bag, 1.5" Therm-a-rest pad, dry clothes for next day (at least under stuff - shorts,socks,shirt perhaps in a freezer Ziploc), bivy.

When I get up I instantly hang the open bedding out in the open air so it can 'dry' as much as it can from the residual body heat. If necessary I'll hang it so a good size fire can dry it by radiant heat, under a tarp if necessary and turned as required, might be before bed time or breaking camp. Plan ahead the night before so the stuff to hang is already set up for use in the morning, while you are eating breakfast, planning your day, breaking camp I never leave my stuff out when I'm not there.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Where does the bivvy fit into your sleep layers?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire