samedi 3 février 2018

Parched wheat.

I made some parched wheat last night. I simply put a cup or two of wheat in a dry cast iron pan over medium heat and stir constantly until it is browned and crunchy, without burning it.

The problem I have with parched wheat is I want it salty and the salt falls right off and to the bottom of the dish or I have to toss the grain more oil than I would like to get the salt to stick so I did some experimenting last night. Once the wheat was parched to what I considered done I stirred in 3 or 4 table spoons of water with as much salt as it would hold into the still hot wheat. Because the wheat was still hot and so dry it sucked up the salt water in a few seconds then I continued to parch it for another minute or two to drive off the water.

Once it was done I ended up with salty parched wheat with the salt inside the grain rather than on the surface where it falls off. The final product was like a cross between sunflower seeds and popcorn.

I actually prefer it over popcorn.

So if you ever find yourself with nothing more than wheat, salt and water you can make parched wheat in addition to you bread and boiled wheat.

I also did it with rye and see no reason it wouldn't work with oats, barley, rice and other grains. I did it with field corn to and it worked but the outer hulls were not very nice to eat or chew on.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Parched wheat.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire