vendredi 7 octobre 2016

Cheap Android tablets worth buying (as of 10/2016)?

What are the best, cheap ($100 or under), 8-10" Android tablets that everyone has had good luck with? Needs to be running Android 4.0 or higher and have Bluetooth capability.

The latest trend in vehicle diagnostics is running an app on a smartphone or tablet that connects to a Bluetooth OBDII adapter. One called BlueDriver looks pretty nice for $100 and has some "enhanced" diagnostic functions (checking airbag, ABS, or other body codes) for certain makes and models. They are constantly updating the software to include more functions. Compared to a scan tool costing several hundred to a couple thousand dollars, it is attractive. Going to the shop just to get a code scanned typically costs $75-100. A comparable, dedicated scan tool is the Autel AL619 (http://ift.tt/2dybKs2) for $120. Currently, the Autel has a bit more capability but I've heard that updates are difficult, customer service is poor, and there is a charge for updates after 1 year. I think the BlueDriver will surpass the Autel unit in another year or so.

In the short-term, if I get the BlueDriver and app, I will use my phone but when I work on my cars I tend to watch how-to videos and search for parts so I'm thinking a larger Android tablet may be a good addition to my tool box. I've been trolling Amazon and Ebay and some brands/models that keeping popping up:

Dragon Touch
Kocaso
RCA (Viking Pro)
Acer (Inconia 8)
other off names

There are also used models of the big players (Samsung, etc.) but most don't get below $100 unless they have problems/damage. The the Amazon Kindle Fires are cheap but they try to lock you into their app store; I need Google Play. I could try to root a Fire but I'm looking for the path of least resistance. I'm undecided over screen size; 8" would slide in the drawer nicely but 10" would be great for propping it and playing a how-to from a few feet away. I'm leaning toward the RCA Viking Pro 10 or the Acer Iconia 8 at this point.

If anyone has used the brands above, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks!

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Cheap Android tablets worth buying (as of 10/2016)?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire