samedi 8 octobre 2016

BOL is neary finished

I have an attitude that less is better.
On my BOL I don’t have power company electric service even though the power lines run less than 200 feet in front of my house.
For power I have set up 2 heavy duty deep cycle 12 volt batteries set up so I can be using one as the other is charged then switch as needed. To charge the batteries I can put a battery in my truck and run to town and back or hook jumper cables to battery 20 min. or so and batteries are topped off. I have also built a generator with a 5 HP motor that is more fuel efficient. As a backup I have a peddle power system made from a stationary bike and an alternator. I let one of the batteries get below 12 volts then used the bike to recharge the battery, it took about an hour. (I walked funny for a few days, need a different seat)
The whole house is now wired for 12 volt. LED COB lights on separate switches in each room plus over stove and on bedside tables and porch lights.
12 volt RV TV/DVD player, USB plugs in bedroom and front room to charge cell phones and other portable items. Car stereo to play CD’s or listen to music/news.
I need to get a 12 volt refrigerator but for now we use an inverter to power an apartment size fridge and recharge cordless tool batteries. We cook in smaller portions so leftovers are at a minimum. All of our meds both prescription and OTC are also stored in the fridge to give them the longest shelf life.
Doing the work myself the total cost is less than $1000.00. We have stayed at the BOL for up to 60 days and drove to and from work daily. We have learned a lot but if SHTF we can go there and live comfortably for an extended period of time.

Primary heat, wood, LP backup
Cooking, LP
Air conditioning, none
Water, 12 volt pump and hand pump
Food preps, 6 months + garden and fruit trees

BTW this not a small cabin it is a 28x48 3 bedroom doublewide mobile. We have worked on this location for over 2 years to get it where we want it to be.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



BOL is neary finished

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire