mercredi 5 octobre 2016

Hawken kit

DefaultHawken kit


Back in the 80's CVA made a Hawken kit that included 2 barrels. One in .50 and one in .54. The barrels were 1" across the flats. If you bought just a CVA Hawken in .50 caliber the barrel was 15/16" across the flats. a coworker gave me one of these kits telling me he got from someone who bought it in the 80's and never put it together. He had it for probably 10 years and never did it so he passed it on to me. After so many years a few of the parts disappeared so I made them as I went along. I made ramrod spools out of brass tubing barbs and tapered washers out of carriage bolt heads. The butt plate is now blued instead of brass because itis made out of a piece of pipe and 1/4 x 1 1/2" flat iron. And the underbarrel rib is off a Thompson Center so I had to redrill the holes. I plugged the TC holes with JB weld. I assembled it with the .54 barrel. I was going to convert the .50 barrel to flintlock but decided to just go ahead and make it a caplock. I bought a stock on ebay only to discover the barrel channel was 15/16". The ebay seller pm'ed me and told me he also had the barrel. So I bought that too. Now I had two Hawkens and still had an extra barrel and lock. So I started buying parts. I found a stock inletted to 1". Instead of a patchbox like the Hawken had I made a greasepot that fit the inletting on the stock. So it will look more like one of the old Trade rifles they use to trade to the indians for buffalo hides. It also will have a blued(or possibly browned) barrel. If I knew how to put pictures on this site I would post them. I am a passable 19th century gunsmith but a poor 21st century computer geek. It'll all work out in the end I've got three kids so each will get a Hawken someday.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Hawken kit

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire