samedi 8 octobre 2016

Long Range Shooting

There have been a few threads lately discussing the pros and cons of long range shooting or engagements, so I figured we could start a discussion on this growing sport. Let's leave the Rambo fantasies out of it and discuss the techniques and equipment we use that helps us to expand our skills and make ourselves better shots.

For the shooters:
What prompted you to get into the sport?
How long have you been practicing?
Are you self taught, or do you have a mentor?
What is your favorite rifle for long range shooting?
Do you use storeboughts, or roll your own?
How far do you have to travel to get to a good range for practice?
Do you also hunt long range?
Do you compete?

I got into it, because 400+ yard shots are common out here. There is also a growing community of long range shooters in this region and many of the guys involved are good friends of mine. I also wanted to increase my skill and proficiency.

I've been practicing and learning for a couple years.

One of my best friends is a former spec ops sniper and is also well known builder of precision rifles. The more time I spent around him and his circle, the more interested I became. One of the local distance shooters has the world record prairie dog shot with a pistol. Knowing such good shooters and having the opportunities available that I do, getting into this sport was inevitable.

At the moment, I just have one distance rifle, a Remington 700 308 AAC-SD, that was given to me by some friends when they learned I was wanting to get into precision shooting. I took the basic rifle to my buddy who is the gunsmith and had him do the build for me.

Once he had the rifle finished, he tinkered around with a few different loads until he found what worked best that also met my criteria of being both a good target round as well as being a capable round for hunting.

I have several different places around the ranch that I can shoot, but my buddy has a range that goes out past 2000yds and it is only 10 miles down the road, so I usually go there to practice. Also, there are always some good shooters down there, so I usually have someone to ask questions if an issue comes up.

I am getting into long range hunting. There is a lot more to it than just looking through the scope and squeezing the trigger.

I am pretty confident in my abilities, but I don't compete. Most of the guys I know around here who do compete are phenomenal. We host a 3 gun tactical shoot every year with the proceeds going to different military charities. There are some very good sponsors and the prize table usually has close to $50k in merchandise going to participants.

Tex

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Long Range Shooting

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire